Purple Bed Mattress Review
I get many questions about the Purple mattress,because of their innovative marketing and effective Kickstarted campaign. So I was delighted to try out the mattress for myself. Because it is built with very unique materials, it’s hard to compare it to other mattresses. Purple Mattress On Kickstarter
Overall I really liked the mattress too. But I did have some concerns. It’s certainly unique, and differs from anything I’ve tested. I believe a lot of people are going to love this mattress. However it will not be for everyone.
You will enjoy the Purple bed mattress if you …
- Are trying to find pressure relief– I discovered Purple’s is in fact terrific for pressure relief. (That’s exactly what they’re aiming to reveal with the raw egg test).
- Are looking the bed-in-a-box online business design – It’s difficult to compare Purple to other bed mattresses (price-wise) due to the material.
- Sleep in multiple positions – Purple is one of very few mattresses, that are comfortable rather you sleep on your stomach, side or back.
- Prefer to sleep cool – The Purple mattress no doubt sleeps cool. It sleeps cooler than any other mattress I have personally tried.
You may not like the Purple bed mattress if you …
- Want a mattress that you understand – Do you call it memory foam? Perhaps a latex bed mattress? Absolutely not spring. It’s difficult to classify Purple, which might be challenging for some buyers.
- There is a certain type of mattress that you like – If you are a die hard fan of a certain type of mattress, you should stick with that kind of mattress. This is a unique feel that isn’t really like any of the basic bed mattress types. Purple Mattress On Kickstarter
Firmness and Feel
Since the Purple mattress has a unique comfort layer (known as hyper-elastic polymer), it’s not surprising that it feels different than any other mattress you’ve tried. Like a latex bed mattress, Purple springs back really quick, and sleeps cool.
As far as firmness, it’s around a 7 out of 10. But, it is also pressure relieving. So, don’t base everything off of the firmness scale.
Purple Mattress Construction
The Purple bed mattress is made from 3 layers:
- 2 inches of hyper-elastic polymer
- 3.5 inches of 1.8 pound polyurethane foam
- 4.0 inches of 2.0 pound polyurethane foam
The top layer is what defines Purple. The extremely unique material provides the bounce, pressure relief and also sleeps cool.
Underneath the cover is made of viscose (27%), polyester (69%), and polyester-lycra (4%). I felt the cover was very beathable, and felt good to touch.
Motion Transfer Test
I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Purple bed mattress in regards to motion transfer. Considering that it does not fall under the common memory foam, latex foam, and innerspring classifications.
However, for motion transfer I feel it is great for couples.
Purple Mattress On Kickstarter
Costs and Avaiable Sizes
The table shown below lists the costs for the readily available sizes and their associated measurements.
Twin XL: 37.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ – $699
Queen: 59.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ – $999
King: 75.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ – $1,299
Cal King: 71.5″ x 83.5″ x 9.5″ – $1,299
In Regards To Durability
The gel material utilized in the comfort layer is extremely resilient, and will stop any early drooping that is seen in other mattress brands. It has a high density base foam. So, I believe the durability of this mattress over time will be a big selling point. Purple Mattress On Kickstarter
Other things to keep in mind:
- Purple is offered just online
- They have a 10 year warranty
- Purple recommends stretchy sheets, to get the full benefit
- They have a 100 night sleep trial
How Does Purple Compare to Nectar?
Purple Mattress is a great mattress. You can find the lowest prices here on Amazon.
However, when compared to Nectar, there are a few things to note:
- Nectar is cheaper.
- Purple mattress has 3 foam layers, compared to Nectar having 4 foam layers.
- Purple mattress is thinner than Nectar mattress.
- Nectar carries a lower comfort score. This means it provides more comfort, without sacrificing stability or assistance.
- Nectar has less movement transfer than Purple mattress.
- Nectar has a Three Hundred and Sixty Five Night Sleep Trial versus Purples 100 day trial.